In the world of direct mail copywriting, a few names stand out like beacons in a fog-filled night. Legends, Titans, if you will, who’ve made their clients fortunes that rival the royals with persuasive messages in the form of direct mail delivered to an expertly chosen list of prospects.
This list of titans has some names you’ll surely recognize, including Dan Kennedy, Russell Martino, and the subject of today’s blog, the “Michelangelo of direct mail copywriting” himself—Gary Bencivenga.
Gary Bencivenga has a long and illustrious career helping American businesses break sales records faster than a bodybuilder can snap a pencil. This master of persuasion is semi-retired now but frequently shares his wisdom and insight on the secrets of his success.
Today, I’d like to share a few of my favorites of Gary’s ‘magic marketing bullets’ and how I use these time-tested, proven techniques to help my clients reach more ideal prospects and reap more profits than they dreamed possible.
So lets dive right in…
- First, Apply the 80/20 Rule or the Pareto Principle. You may already know this one. The 80/20 rule states that out of 100% of any human pursuit, only a small group of factors are responsible for most of your success. When it comes to your marketing efforts, the 80/20 rule is paramount. Identify the 20 percent of your market who is eager for your services or products and, with laser intensity and hone in on them with persuasive marketing. Business owners who master this win big. They cast a small net at the right prospects and catch ideal prospects ready to do business with them.
- Second, Know what you are really selling.
Here’s a hint.
It’s not the product you proudly advertise or the quality of service you provide. What you’re selling is the results your client, customer, or patient desperately wants or needs.
You’re not selling dental implants; you're selling a confident and attractive smile that will contagiously have men and women smiling back at you.
You’re not selling an investment portfolio; you’re selling a future where your client has everything they need and most of what they want with plenty of money in the bank for anything life may throw at them.
Know what you’re really selling, and you’ll know how to reach your ideal prospects on a level that connects with them and has them eager to do business with you.
- The final bullet for today is one that Gary borrowed from Alex Osbourne, the father of creative problem-solving. Now, I’m borrowing it from Gary to share here with you. 😊 Gary and Alex call it the SCAMPER secret. SCAMPER is an acronym that stands for:
- Substitute – something new or original for something tired and worn out.
- Combine- elements of what you offer from different sources.
- Adapt – a winning headline from another product or industry.
- Modify or Magnify – any part of what you’re selling to meet your prospect's needs.
- Put- your product to other uses. Identify who may benefit besides your typical customer.
- Eliminate – an element of what you sell that doesn’t make the cash register ring.
- Rearrange or Redefine- any part of what you sell or how you sell that doesn’t get results.
Gary’s lifetime of insight into successful direct mail marketing has taught me to not just think outside the traditional box of marketing tricks but to load the box with TNT and blow it out of the water.When I meet with my clients, I’m always thinking of and rearranging principles like the 80/20 rule and the secret of SCAMPER to best serve their needs.
You see, deep down, I’m a detective. I’m constantly searching for ways to help my clients connect with so many patients, customers, or patrons; they’re forced to turn some away because they’ve run out of inventory or are booked two months in advance.
So, my fellow business owner, if you’re ready to seize your chance to compete with the immortals and embrace your company’s full potential—If you’re ready to gain a competitive edge, and you’re the type of person who understands the value of strategic marketing. Call or text me at 301-873-5791 or go to www.elaunchers.com to book an appointment. Let’s talk and see what golden nuggets of opportunity we can discover for you.