Moving on from last week’s blog, let me tell you more about BRENT - Business Relationship system for your ENTerprise.
Let’s start with the basics. Entrepreneurs know that the best businesses solve a problem. To make things crystal clear, I’ll describe what BRENT’s head, heart, legs, and trunk tell you about the areas a successful business system follows when applied correctly to problem-solving.
BRENT’s Head; Problems are everywhere! Look around your house and yard to see that just about every item in your household solves a problem. We have drinkable water flowing through our pipes so we don’t have to dig a well or take hours out of our day to collect water from a stream. Rather than spending vast amounts of time walking to destinations - we have cars that keep us warm and toasty in winter or cool us down in the summer. They luxuriously transport us from one place to the next location. We have clothes for every temperature and location that keep us warm or cool and stylish, as well as protect us from the elements.
As an entrepreneur, BRENT’s head represents a working product you have created to solve a specific problem. There are two ways to approach a problem. One approach is to create something novel. For instance, you need to dig a hole to plant a tree, so you develop the idea to speed up the process by inventing a shovel. After using the shovel, you realize it takes quite a bit of time to dig a hole; to speed it up, you create an electric shovel. That second approach is an enhancement—the more familiar the problem, the larger your opportunity.
BRENT’s Heart – The heart is where the magic happens. It would help if you were genuinely passionate about solving your customer’s problem, bringing it to the world, and be excited about what it can accomplish. Your passion will drive you forward and give you the essential motivation to overcome obstacles that will always present themselves in business. BRENT’s heart is where your dream lives and is nourished while you walk, trip and fall, and then get back up on the steppingstones to your path of success.
BRENT’s Trunk – Look around you. What problems do you see in your day-to-day life? How would you fix them? Can you brainstorm a novel way of solving the problem? Or can you create a way to resolve the issue with a current solution that takes a few tweaks? Practice looking at problems and seeing them as opportunities in your life. The more you practice this mindset, the more likely you will find a unique solution, and you’ll be a successful entrepreneur. BRENT’s trunk represents your unique perspective or advantage for sniffing out a new or enhanced solution.
BRENT’s Legs – Regardless of your attitude, your business will never get off the ground without forward movement. Several methods can realize forward movement:
- It is a useful tool to measure progress and keep track of your achievements. A business plan is a map that shows you where you are and where you are going. Goals keep you pushing beyond your comfort zone into new areas.
- Keeps your mind open and your skills current. Even if you don’t have a love of formal classroom training; online training, mentoring, joint venturing and reading all keep your mind active and engaged.
- Delegating is the difference between effectively breaking through boundaries or having a breakdown from burnout. Delegating increases your productivity and keeps you focused. Instead of trying to do everything yourself, bring on others or automate the tasks you don’t have the time, knowledge, or skill to do yourself.
- Keeping on top of new technology is a must in business; all business owners can benefit from understanding the role technology plays in impacting their business. Technology used well saves time, money, and resources.
- As a business owner, you understand the importance of marketing to promote your goods and services in any economy. Creating effective marketing strategies that explore and test products and services will show you what is and isn’t working and keep you afloat in both the worst and best conditions.
An example of how BRENT engages his head, heart, trunk, and legs - at all times - for a fully functional and successful business system is a seven-figure pain and wellness practice with a great reputation in the market for clinical excellence. Patients travel from long distances and check in to a local hotel just to see the fine doctors at this establishment. A well-appointed Place Estate (physical location) gives patients an amazing clinical and creature comfort experience. The clinician is a highly educated individual with significant investment in continuing education. He is an avid reader, astute student, and a prolific writer.
There is only one problem: Their Pixel Estate (online presence) infrastructure ambiance does not match their Place Estate. We did a survey of what the goal of the Pixel Estate was as well as who the ideal patient is.
Using this information, we built a much more functional an aesthetically pleasing and matched site using HubSpot, allowing for automation of follow up, direct downloads of a guide to choose a pain management doctor and direct booking of appointments. (let us know if you would like to see the before and after).
Next blog we'll discuss BRENT's operating system.